The high-level objectives of the implementation of the laboratory Information Management System (LIMS):
- Improved Patient Care: This is the primary objective of the implementation of such a system as information not only reduces human effort and errors, but ensures timely delivery of patient critical data to clinicians.
- Informed Decision Making: With the advanced reporting and easy access to patient test data, clinicians are capable of making better decisions to treat patients in a maximally error-free reporting environment.
- Security and Traceability of Data: Ever numerical result value or text based report for a given patient is transmitted under most stringent security standards with every single value or report modification being completely traceable right up to the point of report delivery.
- Comprehensive Test Reporting: The completely user-defined test result reporting capability of LIMS allows the pathologists to modify the way their tests are reported in an innovative and easy to use format. The software comes with pre-defined report templates as well.
The above primary objectives are the most critical factors that have been identified as being the main drivers for the need of such as system.
LIMS Salient Features:
LIMS is constantly evolving software with over 10 years of constant modifications and innovative additions. Currently it is deployed using Visual Basic 6 with MS SQL database. This is being upgraded to support .Net functionally for internet access and reporting. The main features of the software are as follows:
- Patient Registration with Scheduler: patients are registered in this module; vital information like Name, Age, Sex (for female patient LMP information) etc. will be entered. If the patient has his/ her patient id card than majority of the above information will automatically come from the patient Master. Information like referring doctor, collection center, credit party if any, will be entered. Requested tests will be entered, automatic calculation of charges are generated, A Drawer prove up list by User ID is automatically created. (Sign or User ID is taken automatically). Container wise bar can be coded labels printed. Report schedule is also printed on the receipt.
- Bar Coding: Bar code will be generated through registration for container. Vital information such as patients name, SID no, test abbreviation, registration date time and container will be printed.
- Protocols / Worklist: Products can be printed either by Lab No. or Machine group or Test wise. Each protocol is given a unique protocol number to facilitate user for patient report entries.
- Result Entry:
- Machine Interface: Analyzer data can directly transferred to LIMS database without any manual intervention with proper verification process.
- Result Entry SID: Patient results are entered either by SID No. or Protocol No., Abnormal (out of range) values are flagged. Extremely fast and user friendly module.
- Worksheet: Worksheet wise result entry will provide user facility to enter result value for multiple SID's. This feature will make result entry process much efficient & extremely faster.
- Final Authorization: Before the reports can be printed, reports need to be authorized. In this module, all the reports, which are ready for printing, are shown for final authorization.
- Creation of Report Formats: A unique patient report creation tool will be provided through this module where users can create their own reports for procedures/tasks performed. These reports can be altered by authorized users without calling for program changes. This is achieved by using simple to use drag and drop options. This will allow users to place headings, findings, remarks, footer, etc. in the position and in the sequence needed by the user. This dynamic state of the art user report creation feature not only saves time but also cost as almost no program alteration will be needed.
- Customer Support: Customer Support module’s robust functionality to give result online to doctors, collection centre and credit party. Patient report can be viewed test wise, collection center wise, doctor wise and credit party wise.
- Patient Report: Reports are printed after final authorization. We have provided a complete user-defined report format; you may set the order of how the reports need to be printed. You can have multiple report format based on the tests. This is very user friendly and flexible component. You can report formats with virtually non program changes.
- Drawer Prove Up and Commercial Reports: Drawer prove up and many commercial reports are available.
- Automated SMS Functionality: Reports can be sent via SMS to patients and doctors with required addition automatically. Pathologists can be sent abnormal (out of range) values and alerts as well.
- Automated E-mail Facility: Same as above, except in e-mail format wherever e-mail addresses are available.
- Web Reporting: By using .net technology, patient reports can be viewed globally. Report will be generated using. PDF format so there is no chance of values being tampered with.
- Web Authorization: Web authorization module will allow pathologists to authorize patient reports remotely and through a secured login.
Note: Currently Web Reporting and Web Authorization are the only 2. NET functionalities that are available with LIMS.
- Prescription Scanning: All previous paper based prescriptions and “referred by doctor” test lists and reports can be scanned and stored along with a patients PID on the system. This will allow clinicians to access older tests.
All brand names / logos used are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies and are hereby acknowledged.